2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone on my 2019 2.0 Sport. I started to notice rough shifting occurring around 19k miles. It has always been rough in sport mode, but I thought that was normal. I started to notice the same issue in "normal" mode and eco mode. It progressively got worse around 22k. It almost felt as if the transmission just dropped gears and you heard a clunk. 4th to 5th seemed to be the change with the biggest issue. It literally would take 2-3 seconds to go from 4th to 5th. If you are in high RPMs it felt like the clutch would engage and the car would jerk forward losing power and then would go into 5th. So there was a huge delay from 4th to 5th, no downshifting issues and no delay issues upshifting from any other gear. I finally took it into the dealer. They sent diagnostics to the "Honda Tech Line" and they told the dealer to replace the whole transmission. I hope the new one doesn't have any problems and encourage anyone with rough shifting issues to have the dealer send off diagnostics to the tech line.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone on my 2019 2.0 Sport. I started to notice rough shifting occurring around 19k miles. It has always been rough in sport mode, but I thought that was normal. I started to notice the same issue in "normal" mode and eco mode. It progressively got worse around 22k. It almost felt as if the transmission just dropped gears and you heard a clunk. 4th to 5th seemed to be the change with the biggest issue. It literally would take 2-3 seconds to go from 4th to 5th. If you are in high RPMs it felt like the clutch would engage and the car would jerk forward losing power and then would go into 5th. So there was a huge delay from 4th to 5th, no downshifting issues and no delay issues upshifting from any other gear. I finally took it into the dealer. They sent diagnostics to the "Honda Tech Line" and they told the dealer to replace the whole transmission. I hope the new one doesn't have any problems and encourage anyone with rough shifting issues to have the dealer send off diagnostics to the tech line.
Oh damn, I'm so sorry to hear that! I wish you the best of luck when you get your new transmission up and running! have a 2018 Sport 2.0T and thankfully no shifting issues whatsoever! Mostly because I am mostly in manual mode and red-lining or highly revving each gear since it's VTEC turbo. Everything has always shifting nicely for me. Let me know how the new transmission going for you. I've got 39,800 miles on my car.

·
Registered
'20 Sport 2.0T 6MT, Still Night Pearl. '07 EX-L I4/Nav sold.
106 Posts
Automatic? Sounds like you're describing an automatic, but the automatic doesn't have a clutch.

Still, nice to hear that Honda is going to bat for you. I hope the new transmission solves all the problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automatic? Sounds like you're describing an automatic, but the automatic doesn't have a clutch.

Still, nice to hear that Honda is going to bat for you. I hope the new transmission solves all the problems.
Yeah I am super impressed with the process clearly they saw something that was wrong for them to come back that quick and want to replace it. It is an automatic but it still has a clutch lol. I’m saying when you are in high RPMs and go from 4th to 5th you can feel the clutch dump but it wouldn’t go right into gear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a VERY similar issue with my 2018 2.0t with 18k miles. My problem gears are under normal driving conditions in normal driving mode (never eco and not in sport). When the vehicle recognizes it needs to down shift from 8th to 7th gear under a load, I am getting a hard/delayed shift. It happens everytime I drive the vehicle. Whether it's a downhill slope, upgrade, or normal flat surface. Took it to Honda and they could not duplicate the issue. I later saw, after receiving my vehicle back, the technician had only test drove it 1.5 miles lol in any case, ill be returning to a different dealer for the same issue.

I hope your issue becomes resolved after a new transmission is put in. It seems to be an problem that Honda does not yet account as an issue. Keep us posted!
Cheers from NC 🍻

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a VERY similar issue with my 2018 2.0t with 18k miles. My problem gears are under normal driving conditions in normal driving mode (never eco and not in sport). When the vehicle recognizes it needs to down shift from 8th to 7th gear under a load, I am getting a hard/delayed shift. It happens everytime I drive the vehicle. Whether it's a downhill slope, upgrade, or normal flat surface. Took it to Honda and they could not duplicate the issue. I later saw, after receiving my vehicle back, the technician had only test drove it 1.5 miles lol in any case, ill be returning to a different dealer for the same issue.

I hope your issue becomes resolved after a new transmission is put in. It seems to be an problem that Honda does not yet account as an issue. Keep us posted!
Cheers from NC 🍻
Yeah I was afraid they wouldn’t be able to duplicate the issue so I asked for a mechanic to ride with me so I could show him exactly what I was talking about. Even when I showed him exactly what I was talking about I felt as if he was downplaying the issue. I requested they run diags and send them to Honda. Stay on top of them and be persistent! Especially since you are still under warranty. I am in NC too! Wilmington to be specific.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah I was afraid they wouldn’t be able to duplicate the issue so I asked for a mechanic to ride with me so I could show him exactly what I was talking about. Even when I showed him exactly what I was talking about I felt as if he was downplaying the issue. I requested they run diags and send them to Honda. Stay on top of them and be persistent! Especially since you are still under warranty. I am in NC too! Wilmington to be specific.
I definitely will! I'll ask for the tech to ride with me this time. I'm sure his test drive consisted of pulling it into the shop lol. We should get together sometime! I'm down that way a lot during the summer. Hmu man 🤘🏻

·
Registered
77 Posts

Cheers from NC 🍻
hiw do you notice? It only shows what gear you’re in when manual/paddles- not when it’s in auto mode- right?

·
Registered
58 Posts
hiw do you notice? It only shows what gear you’re in when manual/paddles- not when it’s in auto mode- right?
Correct. But on a few occasions when my problem happens, right away I hit the downshift paddle to see what gear it shifted into (showing 6th gear after I hit the paddle down). That's really the only way to know in normal. It has only done it a handful of times in sport.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

HE IS , PROBABLY ORDERED THAT WAY

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you get the new trans in the car yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does the same thing. 2018 2.0 sport. Honda had it for 2 days the tech at the dealership said he felt it. He sent snapshots to tech line and they said rough shift was normal. However, on the invoice they gave me they did not note what the tech said and they said tech line told them the car was running normally

·
Registered
27 Posts
well this isn't promising. ive been experiencing strange hard shifts on my 2019 around 18k miles. it doesnt always happen though and it seems to go away when it warms up. i think ive learned how to not make it shift hard by not abruptly taking my foot off the gas pedal. it seems when you take your foot off the gas, sometimes it will want to downshift instead of slowly bringing rpms down first (not always the case though). to me it feels like a software issue, its trying to manage the gears when it doesnt need to, but if i keep just a small amount of gas to either keep rpm the same or bring it up a little to upshift, then itll let me cruise normally. its hard to explain. it is also hard to tell if its normal or not. its usually only an issue at very low speeds, which in my mind can be attributed to the first few gears being pretty tall and a lot of torque to try to smooth out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well this isn't promising. ive been experiencing strange hard shifts on my 2019 around 18k miles. it doesnt always happen though and it seems to go away when it warms up. i think ive learned how to not make it shift hard by not abruptly taking my foot off the gas pedal. it seems when you take your foot off the gas, sometimes it will want to downshift instead of slowly bringing rpms down first (not always the case though). to me it feels like a software issue, its trying to manage the gears when it doesnt need to, but if i keep just a small amount of gas to either keep rpm the same or bring it up a little to upshift, then itll let me cruise normally. its hard to explain. it is also hard to tell if its normal or not. its usually only an issue at very low speeds, which in my mind can be attributed to the first few gears being pretty tall and a lot of torque to try to smooth out.
What you've described is exactly what I have experienced with mine since I bought it. Mine is nearly at 50k. Seems that from a cold start (after the vehicle has been off for a couple of hours), I notice that in the lower gears when coming to stop, there is nearly always a noticeable lurch from 5-4-3 regardless of the drive mode. What's even more strange is, sometimes the issue doesn't even occur from a cold start. But what I have noticed is exactly what you stated, it tends to go away after several miles of warming up. I also concur with what you mentioned about the car wanting to downshift rather than slowly bringing down the RPMs first. It's like it constantly hunts for the right gear at lower speeds. I luck out because 90% of my driving is all highway, but I've reached the point of not being able to ignore it anymore when I do have to drive in residential areas. I've contacted the dealer this week to have it inspected. I too suspect that it can be chalked up to TCM software, but reading around on these forums, I've seen everything from that to complete transmission replacements. Hard to say, but I will keep you informed on the status of mine in the event you are still dealing with this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.