2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 exl 2.0 approaching 15k miles and my dealer is recommending a service that includes replacing the automatic transmission fluid. I couldn’t find a schedule in the owners manual, it just says follow the minder. Doesn’t look like it calls for that service at 15k. What’s everyone using as their schedule? 15k from my dealer includes oil & filter change, engine and cabin air filter replaced, transmission fluid replaced,tire rotation and alignment. $400.

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
If you are inclined to DIY here is a video showing how to check/change the engine air filter & cabin air filter...

Another showing how to change the cabin air filter...

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
If you are in the DIY mode...

Cabin Air Filter P/N 80292-T0G-A01

Engine Air Filter Element P/N 17220-6B2-A00

2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Oil Change...

That would leave the transmission fluid change (which may be a DIY project too but I dont have any knowledge on how it's done nor could I find a youtube video showing), tire rotation (which you could do yourself), and front end alignment to do which should reduce the cost significantly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 exl 2.0 approaching 15k miles and my dealer is recommending a service that includes replacing the automatic transmission fluid. I couldn’t find a schedule in the owners manual, it just says follow the minder. Doesn’t look like it calls for that service at 15k. What’s everyone using as their schedule? 15k from my dealer includes oil & filter change, engine and cabin air filter replaced, transmission fluid replaced,tire rotation and alignment. $400.
Similar story here. Wife's 2018 Touring 10AT has 21k miles and the A1 minder came on ( A = oil change, 1 = tire rotation, nothing else). I took it in for a "18.5K service" at Tempe Honda.

Service advisor calls me and says ATF needs to be changed based on the mileage - 15k according to his "documentation".

I double checked the owners manual, and the only time to change ATF outside of what the minder tells you to do is;

" CVT MODELS
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures.
This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance
Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed
every 25,000 miles (40,000 km)."

Just to be sure (maybe there was a tech bulletin?) I called Honda customer service at the number at the end of the owners manual. Lady said "follow the maintenance minder, dealer is incorrect".

So, doesn't apply to our car, and we don't drive in mountainous areas. Thus I declined the service advisor's "advice".

When I picked up the car I asked a different advisor to explain their advice - the response was "the car doesn't know it's been driving in Arizona, hot weather, blah-blah".

I tried to explain that the maintenance minder can measure things like ambient and engine temperatures, that's exactly it's job, to adjust service intervals based on driving conditions, but he wouldn't be persuaded.

Bottom line - JUST FOLLOW THE MAINTENANCE MINDER - but pay attention to the FIVE exceptions when you need to change something that it's not telling you to change.

And BTW an ATF change after 15k miles of normal driving is utterly ridiculous, shame on the dealer for gouging - they probably get a lot people to agree to it who don't know any better.

One more time, with feeling ; FOLLOW THE MAINTENANCE MINDER and worry about more important things.

DM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts