2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first turbo engine, so..
My 1.5t engine Sport model.
when I accelerate gradually to 1500~2000 rpm, the car seem to stall and won't push anymore until I push the pedal much further..
is this what other people telling me that it might be the Turbo Lag?
This is really annoying since I do city driving most of the time.
the car is FAST but it's definitely NOT quick!

·
Registered
163 Posts
when I accelerate gradually to 1500~2000 rpm, the car seem to stall and won't push anymore until I push the pedal much further..
Are you using Sport mode or Eco mode? This doesn’t sound like turbo lag.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm in normal mode,
It helps when I'm in Sport mode since the RPM is boosted.
My Sport is a 2.0T but I have driven the 1.5 CVT. The response throughout the rpm range seemed fine. Try to get a short test ride in another Accord with the same engine/transmission as yours. Might be an issue. Is your gas mileage meeting expectations?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I drove my neighbor's 1.5T in and around town and did not feel any turbo lag. I have had a couple of turbo cars in the past so I know what that's all about. 192 ft-lb is supposed to be available at 1600 rpm. I don't know how you drive in city traffic, I myself prefer sport mode in the city in my 2.0 FWIW.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes some what , and in Heavy Traffic You Should ~

Yes some what , and in Heavy Traffic You Should ~ be in at Least Normal Mode , Especially If You have to Cut Across Lanes or Intersections , as
ECO Mode may hesitate some When Time ( Tenths of Second ) Matter . . Most . . :nerd:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not gonna lie, I felt as though my turbo lagged before I tuned it with K Tuner. It's a whole new vehicle now!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just an observation, the OP indicated a gradual acceleration - turbo lag is felt most when you stomp on the gas. It might be something else, maybe the OP can restate what he is experiencing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know what Turbo lag was,
but from what I can gather, it's the delay in acceleration when you stomp on the pedal.
Yes, my experience is at gradual acceleration,
so when you push little on gas pedal the rate of acceleration sort of stalls when rpm reaches at around 15k to 20k , until you push the pedal alot more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So just a heads up, with the CVT, it comes from the factory dampened quite a bit to preserve the CVT transmission. If you get KTuner, you can get rid of the dampening “lag” and it works wonders. I wish you were near TN and you could drive mine to feel the difference

·
Registered
867 Posts
OK - with Tune

Not gonna lie, I felt as though my turbo lagged before I tuned it with K Tuner. It's a whole new vehicle now!
Tunes always seem to take out Lag to Me , so Say it seems worst , but they just don't Feel _ All of the Difference from Before to After ..
They just Think about the After . . Certainly Drive Ability will be Better . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Sport is a 2.0T but I have driven the 1.5 CVT. The response throughout the rpm range seemed fine. Try to get a short test ride in another Accord with the same engine/transmission as yours. Might be an issue. Is your gas mileage meeting expectations?
I'm having the same problem and my gas mileage is NOT meeting expectations. Can you please explain what issue that might be? Seems like you had something specific in mind with that question.

Apologies for reviving an old thread.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm having the same problem and my gas mileage is NOT meeting expectations. Can you please explain what issue that might be? Seems like you had something specific in mind with that question.

Apologies for reviving an old thread.
No, I didn’t mean to imply that I have any thoughts on what might be wrong. I do suspect that if I owned the 1.5/CVT I would need some mental adjustment to get used to the continuous power flow and change in throttle response vs a conventional automatic or MT.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So just a heads up, with the CVT, it comes from the factory dampened quite a bit to preserve the CVT transmission. If you get KTuner, you can get rid of the dampening “lag” and it works wonders. I wish you were near TN and you could drive mine to feel the difference
If one is in it in the long haul, I would think it wise to follow factory wisdom in trying to protect the CVT. I'm sure it is faster with KTuner, but frankly the 1.5T with CVT has more pick up and go punch than my 2014 LX 6 speed manual.

Greg N

Reactions: Piratefan2018

·
Registered
41 Posts
This doesn't seem like turbo lag. These cars have small turbos that spool up quickly so there's very little noticeable lag. That makes good low end torque but not a huge amount of top end power because the small turbo has limited volume. My old school Mitsubishi Starion had a huge turbo that mostly didn't do anything, until you put your foot in it and the thing took off like a rocket. There was no mistaking what that was. It was huge fun in the snow when the boost would catch you by surprise.

The OP's issue sounds more like the CVT isn't downshifting low enough and/or fast enough. He's got to find the kick down switch and learn to love it, or just use sport mode if he has it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive a 1.5 EX. I suspect what's going on here is Eco mode. It does its damnedest to keep engine revs down and save gas. So when you gently step on the gas it provides a leisurely acceleration rate while working with the transmission, trying to keep the revs below 2k. If you give it lots of gas pedal you'll overcome the Eco mode and rapidly accelerate. Eco mode makes me drive like an old man which is OK 'cause I am an old man. Sport mode should overcome the complaint.

On the other hand, I could be entirely wrong and you should ignore this post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts