2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought an audio unit from a 2022 Touring model to be able to use Wireless Android Auto, but when I plugged it in, the audio doesn't work.

This is what the New unit looks like
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic component Passive circuit component

And this is the unit I removed
Audio equipment Auto part Machine Gadget Musical instrument accessory

The new unit has a couple extra connections that my unit doesn't use, these being 4, 5, & 6 (same as 3). 4 & 5 appear to be speaker wires so that shouldn't be part of the issue. The unit I bought didn't include a plug for connection 6, and my unit didn't have anything plugged in in the same spot (3), so I assume that shouldn't be part of the issue either.

The discrepancies begin with connection 7 on the new unit. I assumed those were speaker wires as well , and since my unit only has one of those wires (2), I thought just removing the wire from my unit and plugging it in to the new wire harness would be fine. After messing around with that wire some more, it appeared to be related to the AM/FM radio. I was playing music (referring to my old unit here) through BT with my phone and disconnected that connection (2) and the audio continued without a hitch, leading me to believe it may be the antenna or related to it.

Connection 1 wasn't used on my unit, and the plug from the new unit only has 3 wires connected to it, so I don't think that's part of it.
Gear shift Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design

The next discrepancies though are where I believe the issue may be stemming from.
This is the blue connector coming from my car that was plugged into my old unit.
Hand Finger Automotive tire Bumper Circuit component
Hand Automotive tire Finger Thumb Bumper

And this is the plug that came on the new unit.
Finger Gesture Computer keyboard Wrist Thumb
Hand Finger Line Thumb Engineering

You can see how my connector has a few more pins populated compared to the connector from the new unit.

And it's the same situation with the connection that is to the right of connection 3 (6).
Here is the plug coming from my car
Circuit component Finger Computer hardware Hardware programmer Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Finger Bumper Thumb Wrist

And the plug from the new unit
Link since there's a 10 image limit

The blue connection has 7 extra pins that the new unit doesn't, and the other connection has 8 extra pins that the new unit doesn't.
I don't know how these extra pins could potentially be affecting the audio, but since I don't have a tool to remove these and test it without damaging them I'd rather not take the risk.
I tried plugging in that extra plug from the new unit (1) and shorting the wires together in the only 4 possible combinations, but this yielded nothing.

The strange this is though, the unit works perfectly aside form the audio. It has navigation, which my car doesn't, and it works just fine. The wireless android auto works as intended, and it even reads the USB port.

Does anyone happen to have some knowledge on this that could help, or maybe have the wiring diagram? I'd appreciate anything at this point, I really want to make that wireless android auto work.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I bought an audio unit from a 2022 Touring model to be able to use Wireless Android Auto, but when I plugged it in, the audio doesn't work.

This is what the New unit looks like
View attachment 8258

And this is the unit I removed
View attachment 8257

The new unit has a couple extra connections that my unit doesn't use, these being 4, 5, & 6 (same as 3). 4 & 5 appear to be speaker wires so that shouldn't be part of the issue. The unit I bought didn't include a plug for connection 6, and my unit didn't have anything plugged in in the same spot (3), so I assume that shouldn't be part of the issue either.

The discrepancies begin with connection 7 on the new unit. I assumed those were speaker wires as well , and since my unit only has one of those wires (2), I thought just removing the wire from my unit and plugging it in to the new wire harness would be fine. After messing around with that wire some more, it appeared to be related to the AM/FM radio. I was playing music (referring to my old unit here) through BT with my phone and disconnected that connection (2) and the audio continued without a hitch, leading me to believe it may be the antenna or related to it.

Connection 1 wasn't used on my unit, and the plug from the new unit only has 3 wires connected to it, so I don't think that's part of it.
View attachment 8259

The next discrepancies though are where I believe the issue may be stemming from.
This is the blue connector coming from my car that was plugged into my old unit.
View attachment 8260 View attachment 8261

And this is the plug that came on the new unit.
View attachment 8262 View attachment 8263

You can see how my connector has a few more pins populated compared to the connector from the new unit.

And it's the same situation with the connection that is to the right of connection 3 (6).
Here is the plug coming from my car
View attachment 8264 View attachment 8265

And the plug from the new unit
Link since there's a 10 image limit

The blue connection has 7 extra pins that the new unit doesn't, and the other connection has 8 extra pins that the new unit doesn't.
I don't know how these extra pins could potentially be affecting the audio, but since I don't have a tool to remove these and test it without damaging them I'd rather not take the risk.
I tried plugging in that extra plug from the new unit (1) and shorting the wires together in the only 4 possible combinations, but this yielded nothing.

The strange this is though, the unit works perfectly aside form the audio. It has navigation, which my car doesn't, and it works just fine. The wireless android auto works as intended, and it even reads the USB port.

Does anyone happen to have some knowledge on this that could help, or maybe have the wiring diagram? I'd appreciate anything at this point, I really want to make that wireless android auto work.
You do know the 18 sport and the 22 touring have 2 completely different sound systems right? The sport has speaker wires to speakers (front and rear left+right) 4 channels. The touring has some sort of optical wire to the factory amp and from that amp there is 10 individual channels. Did you buy the Amp.

You could have just bought this and it would have saved you a ton of trouble.

Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter - Instant Connection from Smartphone to Car Screen with Easy Setup - Direct Plug-in USB Adapter - Secure Gel Pad Included https://a.co/d/7PgNVHy

·
Registered
64 Posts
My centre console supports android auto so I assumed yours did too. I have a 18 EXL 2.0. Obviously you didn't understand when you took your car apart. I just told you the sport and touring have different sound systems one has an amp yours doesn't. That's why you have no audio. I never told you to do anything. I just said there's a dongle for what you want. I was trying to help and throw a lil humor to the situation. But since your so sensitive ill leave you to your devices (which aren't compatible).

·
Registered
953 Posts
Listen if you don't understand then why are you commenting telling me what to do? The center console usb doesn't support android auto and no, it doesn't have it.
No your the one not listening or understanding. You came in here for more knowledge than you have then argue with us😂. Just myself alone has done a system two of these cars. Should have investigated before purchasing and pulling everything apart, so don't be mad at us now.✌

·
Registered
4 Posts
All you need is a 2022 accord model radio that has the 8 speaker sound system instead of the upgraded 10 speaker one. I believe the 2022 accord sport 2.0 has wireless CarPlay so if u can get ur hands on a radio from that car it should work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
All you need is a 2022 accord model radio that has the 8 speaker sound system instead of the upgraded 10 speaker one. I believe the 2022 accord sport 2.0 has wireless CarPlay so if u can get ur hands on a radio from that car it should work.

Does the 22 sport have wireless android? That would have worked since the sound system is exactly the same.

I Said that already and he got pissed off at me, but he thanx you. Lol 😆

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Said that already and he got pissed off at me, but he thanx you. Lol 😆
Because I know for a fact that the sport doesn't, I researched that, but I overlooked the 2.0 model which he brought up. Again, You didn't know what you were talking about. And if you'd like another example of you not knowing, you brought up your 2018 EXL having the USB port in the center console but failed to realize that the sport trim is below the EXL so of course the EXL has more features.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lol, don't get your panties all in a bunch. You say you did your research yet, you take your car apart and swap a head unit with one that's not compatible. Then I explain where you went wrong but I'm the one that doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't know what accessories the sport has because I don't have one, Nor do I care to know. But when it comes to sound systems in these accords I know every wire and what it does. That's the only reason I tried to help out. The sounds in my car is worth more than my car. I just wanted to share the wealth of knowledge that I learned the hard way in this accord. When your ready to do a real upgrade on your sound system I will still lend a helping hand because I'm not a sensitive prick. Just in case your interested... or not, here is my build log. Good luck with your wireless android auto venture and I hope you can return the uncompatible head unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts