2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else’s car have a weird smell when it rains or when it’s cold outside? I have a 2020 Accord Sport that I’ve had brand new for a year and 2 months and have been smelling it since I’ve had the car. I discarded the smell because I thought it was just a really bad smelling new car smell but as that’s gone, it has to be something else. Even with air fresheners it’s pretty overpowering but you only smell it when it’s cold outside or when it’s raining. I’ve changed out the cabin air filter and the smell is still there, to add insult to injury, my dealer is no help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked/changed your cabin filter?

You may want to look at this thread - Rodent problem. Warning graphic picture hopefully your issue isn't something of that nature.
I’ve had my cabin air filter changed and the smell is still present but the problem is I only smell it after it rains or when it’s really cold. Neither the air or heat smells bad at all, the smell is only in the cabin and when I start to drive, the bad smell slowly dissipates as the car heats up, it’s really weird and hard to explain. I’ve had this problem since the beginning of ownership and the dealer is no help at all. Just ready to get rid of the car all together at this point.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
I’ve had my cabin air filter changed and the smell is still present but the problem is I only smell it after it rains or when it’s really cold. Neither the air or heat smells bad at all, the smell is only in the cabin and when I start to drive, the bad smell slowly dissipates as the car heats up, it’s really weird and hard to explain. I’ve had this problem since the beginning of ownership and the dealer is no help at all. Just ready to get rid of the car all together at this point.
Sucks you still dealing with this issue. Has the dealership at least been able to acknowledge/smell what you are? Has anyone been able to smell it other than you? Just wondering if others have smelt it were they able to distinguish what it smelled like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sucks you still dealing with this issue. Has the dealership at least been able to acknowledge/smell what you are? Has anyone been able to smell it other than you? Just wondering if others have smelt it were they able to distinguish what it smelled like.
Figured out the problem on my own without my dealers help as they are technically useless. The weatherstripping around the door was letting water leak in and causing a horrible smell.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Car Photograph Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Car Hand Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Glad you finally found the cause of this issue. You may want to contact Honda Customer care and open a claim. You mention car is out of warranty but if you have been dealing with this prior to car going out of warranty by taking it to dealer for them to diagnose, and have documentation to show this it may be to your benefit. Even if that is not the case they still may goodwill a warranty repair.

Honda Automobile Customer Service, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

800-999-1009

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 100-5E-8A
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

hondacertified.com

Monday - Friday
0600 - 1700
Pacific Time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you finally found the cause of this issue. You may want to contact Honda Customer care and open a claim. You mention car is out of warranty but if you have been dealing with this prior to car going out of warranty by taking it to dealer for them to diagnose, and have documentation to show this it may be to your benefit. Even if that is not the case they still may goodwill a warranty repair.

Honda Automobile Customer Service, American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

800-999-1009

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 100-5E-8A
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

hondacertified.com

Monday - Friday
0600 - 1700
Pacific Time
Unfortunately, I only just now complained about it because I didn’t think of it being a water leak until you mentioned something about it.

·
Administrator
2,865 Posts
Unfortunately, I only just now complained about it because I didn’t think of it being a water leak until you mentioned something about it.
You should still contact Customer Support and open a claim... Honda has the ability to "good will" (no cost to you) a repair. IMO this shouldn't have happened if the weather strip was installed correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should still contact Customer Support and open a claim... Honda has the ability to "good will" (no cost to you) a repair. IMO this shouldn't have happened if the weather strip was installed correctly.
Thank you for the information! Gonna get in contact with them and see if I can receive assistance with this defect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.