2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the manual recommends 0w20 at all temperatures, but I have read here and there people using 5w30 without issues (no idea how many miles they used it for) and on other forums there are too many honda fan boy trolls who swear by the manual. As someone who has worked on all my own cars, I try to do as much research into the engineering as I can, but it seems that its borderline impossible in some cases (in some cases) to talk to honda owners. I read around here and it seems most users are a bit more reasonable.

I have about 7k miles on my 22 accord 2.0t, running stage 2 tune with quick spool and all the throttle and responsiveness maxed out. Drives like a dream compared to stock, stock it didn't feel any faster than my 2.5 NA camry simply because turbo lag and spool time was that terrible and the camry even with less hp could get off the line quicker (sure, it lost top speed, duh its down on power).

After running logs for 1k miles Kcon at worst is around 0.55 and cruising around 0.48, with maybe 1 knock over a 30 minute drive. Not bad!

Trick is, its winter, so the IAT is low and oil temps are low, because its colder. We peak around 55 here in the winter on a "warm day" and usually hover around 45 avg with winter storms pushing us well bellow 30F for a week at a time.

So the big question is, those of you with tunes and running more power in the summer, do you run a heavier oil regularly? In my area summer starts early and lasts till the end of september with temps well over 90 very often and if you leave the car sitting in the sun its even more, like 150 inside the car. Very, very hot summers, and heck Im not even in texas or florida. In theory 5w30 in such heats with more boost/power should actually be BETTER for the car.

If you swear by the manual don't bother responding, looking ONLY for responses from people who actually run a heavier weight oil that isn't 0w20.

Brand, weight, how many miles, any lab tests, driving impressions, oil temps, any info is much appreciated. Most importantly MILEAGE that the oil was used. Single time use doesn't really provide much data, using it constantly is a better indicator.

Thank you.

PS: Trolls be gone, you will be reported. I don't mind some banter, but blatant borderline toxic fanboy bs isn't needed here. I have no loyalty to any brand, I have loyalty to engineering and well designed machinery.

· Registered
22 Posts
2018 accord 2.0T here. used honda full synth 0w20 (silver container) for the first 19k miles. Since then ive been using Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 with bg moa each oil change. i just clicked over 55k on the way to work this morning. the car runs so much happier (especially in the summer) and start ups are way quieter since the change in oil. i change my oil every 4k miles religiously.

the whole reason i switched was the old oil i was draining every 4k miles from the car was basically the consistancy of water. since the 5w30 the oil keeps from breaking down so fast from the turbo heat and is still in decent shape when it comes time to drain.

ive been tuned since 15k miles. zero issues and zero leaks.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive also been running e85 since 15k miles which breaks down oil much faster so take that for what its worth
This is great info. Thanks for the input.
What is BG MOA? As a gun guy MOA probably doesn't mean the same in a car LOL

· Registered
22 Posts
BG MOA is a friction modifyer for your oil. if you use BG 3 part kit every oil change before you pass 50k miles they will give you a warrenty for all oiled parts including timing chain failures and bearing wear etc. we use it at my work weekly to get engines replaced at no cost to customers ( euro mechanic here)

do your own research but its awesome stuff! cheaper on amazon then the link im about to give you

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BG MOA is a friction modifyer for your oil. if you use BG 3 part kit every oil change before you pass 50k miles they will give you a warrenty for all oiled parts including timing chain failures and bearing wear etc. we use it at my work weekly to get engines replaced at no cost to customers ( euro mechanic here)

do your own research but its awesome stuff! cheaper on amazon then the link im about to give you

Awesome, will do. Looks like a good product at first glance

Reactions: maroco92

· Registered
1 Posts
What Are the Best Oils for High-Heat Cooking? The best oils for standing up to high heat during frying are avocado, peanut, canola, sunflower, and sesame oil. These oils have a high smoke point (400°F and higher), which means they are better suited for cooking at higher temperatures.

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
What Are the Best Oils for High-Heat Cooking? The best oils for standing up to high heat during frying are avocado, peanut, canola, sunflower, and sesame oil. These oils have a high smoke point (400°F and higher), which means they are better suited for cooking at higher temperatures.
Interesting 1st post. :unsure:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts