2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the maintenance minder computer makes a compensation for the first break-in oil change mileage? I couldn't find anything in the manual on the mileage, specifically.
Driverside.com, where I track my car maintenance, stated my first oil change would be at 3500 miles on my new Accord there. Don't know where they got that info.
What are you all planning to do or recommend for mileage on first oil change in this turbo engine?

·
Administrator
2,547 Posts
Follow the maintenance minder. My driving is 99% city driving w/my Accord not being my primary/daily driver... 1st oil change was @ 4k right @ about 12 months of ownership (by following maintenance minder). Others that do mostly highway miles have gone as much as 10k before needing an oil change. Your car came w/full (Honda OEM) synthetic oil... unlike "older" days of dino oil, and with the better technology in building motors these days the need for "break in" oil changes are no longer recommended by manufacturers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would follow the maintenance minder as well unless you just feel like you need to change the oil. I changed mine at 7000 miles and the maintenance minder said I had about 35 to 40% left. But since I change it myself I wanted to do it while the weather was still kind of warm here in Texas and not wait till cold January or February .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know if the maintenance minder computer makes a compensation for the first break-in oil change mileage? I couldn't find anything in the manual on the mileage, specifically.
Driverside.com, where I track my car maintenance, stated my first oil change would be at 3500 miles on my new Accord there. Don't know where they got that info.
What are you all planning to do or recommend for mileage on first oil change in this turbo engine?
I took my Accord to a dealer for an oil change when the oil life was 40%. They told me to come back once the oil life is down to 15%. The car comes with special break-in oil and it's best to keep it in the engine for at least 85% of the oil's life. The odometer was over 6,000 miles by that time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I took my Accord to a dealer for an oil change when the oil life was 40%. They told me to come back once the oil life is down to 15%. The car comes with special break-in oil and it's best to keep it in the engine for at least 85% of the oil's life. The odometer was over 6,000 miles by that time.
This is the first i have heard of break in oil in a very long time, I think I might check with another dealer. Now if your driving a hand built C63 AMG then yes there is a break in period with special oil, but a mass produced Accord has no special break in or oil that I’m aware.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Sport 1.5T
73 Posts
Does anyone know if the maintenance minder computer makes a compensation for the first break-in oil change mileage
Yes. The maintenance minder is all you need to follow. That's all I've ever used to schedule oil changes in my 2010 Fit, which has a little over 235,000 miles with an engine that runs like new and barely uses any oil.

Not from Honda, I assure you. I doubt anyone knows Hondas better than Honda engineering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a Honda Service Manager. I advise that you follow the maintenance minder. Everyone's driving habits are different and no one person is going to know your car and driving habits better than the algorithm built into your vehicle. I have driven over 8k on my first oil change because I drive all highway in eco mode. So, my avg RPM is under 1700 (basically, I don't drive at high RPMs hardly at all).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts