2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You folks who provided me with such good information in my previous post, I come to you again, requesting input. First, an update: it appears that the 2019 Accords are now available; at least the dealerships I check every day are now listing 2019 Accords in their on-line inventories. So I've made a appointment on 17 November to test drive the EX-L 2.0T with navigation at one of the dealerships that has that trim in the colour I want. I have found that particular car and colour at four dealerships to which I am willing to drive, but none of them are close; the dealership I picked for my test drive is one of the closer ones to me, and it's ninety miles away.

That's why I've been performing all the due diligence I can. You fellows satisfactorily answered my questions about headroom and legroom, but a couple of other things WRT comfort in the driver's seat have come to my attention.

First, I have found on-line complaints from a small-but-strident contingent about the driver's seat being uncomfortable to the point of causing significant back pain after driving the Accord anywhere from one hour down to fifteen minutes. I'm not talking about the seat bottom being hard, as Fired00d and Buicknut and Bigborgel mentioned in their replies to my previous thread. (I'm not terribly worried about my ass hurting over a long drive; they have cushions for that sort of thing.) The ones I'm talking about are those who have posted complaining that they feel considerable pain---a couple even termed it "excruciating"---after driving as little a fifteen minutes in the Accord.

Another, much smaller, subset complains about the angle of the headrest---excuse me, "head restraint". These declare that the angle of the head restraint pushes their heads forward and their chins into their chests. I have some experience with this. Six years ago, I test drove a Buick LaCrosse of that year, and its head restraint did that to me. No matter how I adjusted the seat, the head restraint kept pushing my head forward and down. I had to scratch the car from consideration because of that.

Have any of you experienced either of these problems---the back pain or the forward-pushing head restraint---in your driving of a 2018 Accord? Understood, it's with the caveat that every individual is different and my circumstance may be different from yours. I'm just trying to determine if there is enough water in this complaint to make it a major concern, or if it's just a complaint from a small few and only something to keep in the back of my mind.

I hope I experience no such problems, because in all other respects, the 2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T holds out as an exceptional car. I'm working on a way to at least sit in one, if not drive it, before I make that trip to the dealership a week from to-morrow. Any information you guys provide, just as last time, I deeply appreciate.

·
Registered
2018 Hybrid Touring
28 Posts
As everyone is different you won’t know until you drive it. I have a 80 mile commute each day and my back has never bothered me. I do wish there was a little more padding on the seat cushion but even that is not uncomfortable. The head restraints have not posed a problem either. I think you will find the seats very comfortable once you adjust them to your liking.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
I haven't noticed any of the issues you mention... but that may be due to my car having 12 way adjustable seat (which come in Sport and above models). That may be something you want to investigate when you go do your test drive... sit in/drive one of the models w/the 12 way adjustable seat to see if there is a significant difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't noticed any of the issues you mention... but that may be due to my car having 12 way adjustable seat (which come in Sport and above models).
That's definitely the level of trim I'm considering. The comments speaking of back pain weren't always specific on what trim the sufferer drove, so I'd wondered if the problem lied in seats less adjustable.

Much obliged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Second update: I don't usually visit a car dealership without preparing my information and putting together a reference folder, both for me to use and for the salesmen to see (it works well as a prop. also). But yesterday, on the spur of the moment, my wife and I headed down to the dealership I had scheduled to see next week. I test-drove the EX-L 2.0T.

It handles well, quick and responsive. I like the rich coffee colour and I don't mind the black upholstery as much as I thought I would.

I got some mixed feelings about the comfort of sitting in it. I had sufficient headroom; my hair wasn't brushing the overhead, or close to it. But I did feel a little claustrophobic because the overhead is about an inch and a half lower than that of my Altima. That I figure would be just a matter of getting used to.

I had the legroom I need, but just. The farthest back one can set the driver's seat is just long enough to accommodate my legs. But it does do so sufficiently.

The headrest wasn't an issue at all. I barely knew it was there.

As for the issue of my knees or legs banging the dashboard or the centre console, I really didn't look for that, but I never noticed it, either. I would have noticed it, if it had been an issue, so it seems there's no problem there.

As to the comfort of the seat itself, well, it's not as comfortable as the Altima's "zero-gravity" seat. (The first time I ever sat in an Altima, there was an "Ahhhhhhhhhh . . . " factor that surprised me.) My wife, on the other hand, felt that the Accord's seat was more comfortable than the Altima. Go figure.

The seat bottom is definitely more rigid, and I can see how that would be a problem over long drives. But it's not a problem that couldn't be resolved.

Nevertheless, I got an odd feeling about sitting in it. Perhaps I was over-sensitive in looking for any signs of back problems. Not to mention the fact that I had just driven for almost two hours to get to the dealership. Perhaps I'm too accustomed to the Altima's seat. I test-drove the car for twenty minutes and I can't definitely say I felt any back pain or discomfort. But something felt just a little off.

No, I didn't buy it. Principally because, I didn't like the price the dealership offered. The offer was within my budget, but about a thousand dollars more than would have made me take it on the spot. Now I'll check with the other dealerships that have that specific car and see if they'll beat this offer.

In the meantime, I still want to hear from anyone who wishes to provide information on any back-pain or -discomfort issues they may have had, or if they haven't experience any.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will say it’s not a roomy car, at least up front. I’ve never ridden in the back but the back seems to not be an issue with space : roominess. It does seem smaller inside then some others I sat in. Not I’m not a super tall gal , I’m 5’ 7”. I have the sport 2.0t in manual and it’s enough room for me. However my boyfriend drives the 2018 Malibu which when he gets in my car he says it feels tight. Says the seats don’t go back far enough to accommodate his size. He’s about 5’ 9” and I do see where he looks a bit cramped sitting in it. He’s a laid back kind of driver. But when I sit in his Malibu I feel like there’s too much room ! I’m not 6’ 2” for god sakes. Lol. He seems to think the farthest back setting is still too close ? So everyone definitely is different. I’ve never noticed a problem with the head rest in mine, I think it’s fine. That’s not a particular option I’ve really paid attention to no matter what car I’ve had. I do wish the seats were, I don’t know bigger, maybe wider is the right word. They are fine now I don’t even notice it anymore, but I do remeber originally getting in and and saying these seats feel smaller then usual. Even when I had my 03 RSX the seats seemed bigger, even though it was a much smaller interior of a car. Overall, I’m happy with it. I’ve been driving it since May this year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do wish the seats were, I don’t know bigger, maybe wider is the right word. They are fine now I don’t even notice it anymore, but I do remember originally getting in and and saying these seats feel smaller then usual.
That was my first reaction too, that the seat seemed smaller than usual. Part of the reason for my feeling, I believe, was because I was accustomed to the Altima's seating. But the larger reason for it, I suspect, is the more pronounced bolsters in the Accord. One can feel them along the sides of the torso.

I've got an appointment with another dealership Friday morning. This dealership has offered me a terrific price, but naturally it won't tender a firm offer on my trade-in until they can physically inspect it. This dealership is two hours away from me, and I've been wanting to drive down there all week, but the weather has been miserable---rain, sleet, nasty roads. Friday is supposed to be decent, sunny day, so I'm headed down there then. Of course, I'll have to take this one on a test drive, as well, and I'll pay more attention to the comfort-level stuff. But from all I've gathered from you helpful folks and my first test drive, I shouldn't have a problem with the Accord at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m about 6’, 260 lbs. mid 60’s. Big bones. I only have 2500 miles on my 18 Touring 2.0 10T. I am not satisfied with the seat comfort. Was hoping they might/will break in with more use. Seat bottom width is skimpy for me and seems a bit firm. I feel like I am sitting on the bolsters a bit more than I would like. My right knee connects with the console right on the bone. After driving an hour to two, i start getting restless, moving around. Steering wheel, something about it bothers me. May just need to experiment with position some more. I have some arthritis in my right thumb,so that contributes to it. I just may need to mess with all of the adjustments on the seat. Good luck with your quest...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since in the drivers seat I sit straight up, my head doesn’t contact the headrest much at all. But yesterday I was a passenger to the seashore and the head rest does push my head at an unnatural angle to my chest. I sit tall and I had tried to recline in my 2018 Accord 1.5 Turbo Touring car. It’s a beautiful car otherwise. So roomy. I’m looking to check out neck cushions and inserts to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm basically an ogre at 6'6" and embarrassingly far too north of 300lbs... One of the main reasons I drive an Accord (and have daily-driven nothing but Accords since I was 19 - almost 20 years ago) is how incredibly big, spacious and comfortable the driver's seat/cabin is. My 2019 Sport seat fits me like a glove. The lumbar adjustment is just about my favorite thing ever. I can't imagine someone who's 5'9" thinking the Accord is too tight. Ha, this car is massive.

Reactions: azrael69

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm basically an ogre at 6'6" and embarrassingly far too north of 300lbs... One of the main reasons I drive an Accord (and have daily-driven nothing but Accords since I was 19 - almost 20 years ago) is how incredibly big, spacious and comfortable the driver's seat/cabin is. My 2019 Sport seat fits me like a glove. The lumbar adjustment is just about my favorite thing ever. I can't imagine someone who's 5'9" thinking the Accord is too tight. Ha, this car is massive.
I'm terribly uncomfortable in my 2019 Hybrid EX at 6'4 200lb. I think, to your benefit, you may have some extra built in padding. I am pretty much skin and bones in my legs and thighs. I get sore. I also can't comfortably rest my legs anywhere during cruise control, the angle either puts too much stress on my ankle or rests my knee/leg on something too hard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts