2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be having my 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T windows tinted. I'd like to get the side and rear windows tinted to 35 or 40% light transmission. The factory windows are currently tinted to 75% (as measured by my local police dept). So if I want to darken my tint to 35%, what do I ask the installer to do? If I do a 50% tint does my light transmission decrease from 75% to 25%? If so, that is too dark.

What is the cumulative effect of the existing factory tint plus the additional tint?

Thanks,

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm surprised to read that the factory windows are 75%. I think that's probably incorrect, but, I don't have any experience. Ignore me.

You've got a good question. I'm getting my windows done later this afternoon. I suppose I'd better research this further. Legal limit here is 35% all around but I drive frequently in TN, NC and SC and sometimes VA, GA, WV, and KY so I want to be sure not go too dark accidentally. :)

35% seems to be safe in all of those states.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A quick googling of factory tint suggests that 75% might very well be correct. I stand corrected. :smile:

Also, it looks like 50% + 75% would equate to roughly 35%. I'd like to do that math myself though.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
I'm surprised to read that the factory windows are 75%. I think that's probably incorrect, but, I don't have any experience. Ignore me.

You've got a good question. I'm getting my windows done later this afternoon. I suppose I'd better research this further. Legal limit here is 35% all around but I drive frequently in TN, NC and SC and sometimes VA, GA, WV, and KY so I want to be sure not go too dark accidentally. :)

35% seems to be safe in all of those states.
Legally all you have to comply w/is your home state (state your car is registered in bearing that state's license plates).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good to know. I still don't want the added attention from the Police whether they can ticket me or not. I drive too many places to intentionally paint a target on my back. :)

I just got back from getting it done. Supposed to be 35% combined. :) It might be a little dark. I'll have to see what it looks like in the sun.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
Good to know. I still don't want the added attention from the Police whether they can ticket me or not. I drive too many places to intentionally paint a target on my back. :)

I just got back from getting it done. Supposed to be 35% combined. :) It might be a little dark. I'll have to see what it looks like in the sun.
I understand that... and is the reason I went w/the legal tint for my state.... don't need/want any "additional attention". LEO shouldn't bother you in states other than your "home" state for tint that doesn't meet their state requirements as long as it meets your "registered" state... if they do they are setting themselves up for some serious litigation (law suits).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had LLuminar Pinnacle 35% applied yesterday to the rear and side windows. The result meets my expectation. Photo attached. I will stop by the police department this week and have them gauge the tint level with their laser meter.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had LLuminar Pinnacle 35% applied yesterday to the rear and side windows. The result meets my expectation. Photo attached. I will stop by the police department this week and have them gauge the tint level with their laser meter.

I did the same and although its not "Privacy" it is legal and cuts down on heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts