2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Just picked up a 2019 hybrid touring and so far loving it.

I'm noticing some considerable distortion on the right side of the windshield parallel to the front right column. Best way I can explain is say you are driving in a parking structure and coming around a corner, so you are looking to the far right of the glass to keep an eye out for other cars/pedestrians that might be on the other side of a right turn and you notice the objects passing in front of that area are distorted or "bending". Has anyone else noticed this? None of my other cars I've driven have had this issue but I saw on the internet that it is "normal"?? First thing that popped into my head was safety issue! Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The windshield on my 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T (build date 3/18) has a "graininess" within the glass that is noticeable to me in the morning and afternoon when the sun is low on the horizon. The best I can describe it is that an inner laminate of the windshield has a contamination or defect in manufacture. It appears as a wavy graininess across the windshield.

I noticed this shortly after delivery. Both the service advisor and manager see it. Interestingly, the service manager has looked at 4 other 2018's since he looked at mine. He called and said he can see in on all four of the other cars. It might be "normal".

I can't get a photo that captures the effect. It's not totally unacceptable. I would consider getting a replacement under warranty however I think it might be more sensible to live with it and not "break" the factory seal on the windshield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not from "granieness". Made progress on another forum and so far 2 other people with the same build date confirmed it. Check it out:

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Definitely not from "granieness". Made progress on another forum and so far 2 other people with the same build date confirmed it. Check it out:

Same build date as yours... what is the build date?

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Sep 2019. I have the accord hybrid touring but it seems other hybrid trims are affected.
Thanks for the info. This may help identify and notify others with the same build dates. Makes one wonder if there was a bad batch of windshields. :unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you made any progression with Honda? I just bought a new 2019 Accord EX-L. I test drove like 4-5 Accords before purchasing this one, which I only test drove for like 2 minutes on dark backroads since it was a showroom car at a good price (and I knew I wanted the Accord already). On the passenger side, my windshield distorts like 3-4” all the way up the side. I noticed it immediately on my way home after purchasing it. I just got back from a Honda service department. The first guy looked at me like I was crazy and said it was a reflection. He seemed wanting to immediately dismiss me, but I pressed for another look. The tech noticed it but said it’s normal on all Accords. He said replacing the windshield would create the same effect. I did look at their showroom Accord today, and it has the same problem. Maybe they’re all like that, and I just now noticed. It’s very distracting and seems unsafe to me. I don’t see how this is acceptable, and I feel stupid for not noticing it before purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Djindoe... are you going to try and do anything about it? It’s a huge distraction and safety concern. I think we should all start contacting Honda corporate. They need to do something about this if more people start bringing it up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just noticed this myself on my 2019 HAH EX-L, hadn’t noticed it in the past. To be honest I never noticed it before and not bothered by it really. Mine is a July 2019 build date, Aug 2019 delivery date to dealer.

I doubt the issue is specific to Hybrid models...

@djindoe just noticed you have a 2019 Sport with an October 2019 build date. When did they start the 2020 builds? I saw 2020’s in early November at dealers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Djindoe... are you going to try and do anything about it? It’s a huge distraction and safety concern. I think we should all start contacting Honda corporate. They need to do something about this if more people start bringing it up.
I'll bring it up next time I stop by the dealership. I'm friends with the sales manager at the one near my house so I pop in from time to time. I highly doubt they'll do anything about it though. It's annoying but it doesn't distract me that much now that I know it's an issue and not my eyes playing tricks on me.

@djindoe just noticed you have a 2019 Sport with an October 2019 build date. When did they start the 2020 builds? I saw 2020’s in early November at dealers.
Mine is a MY 2020. Sorry, I should've clarified that in my post. So 2020s seem to also be affected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all,

OP here. I have somewhat of an update. Original vehicle was build date Sep 2019 purchased in Nov 2019. Someone ran a red light and totaled the car. I got into a 2020 hybrid touring, which must have been one of the earlier ones, because the build date on this is Oct 2019.

Same issues with the windshield. Something i have noticed though... less noise from the motor when it kicks in and getting slightly better gas mileage..... who woulda thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I saw the warping, too and an incredible amount of impurities inside the glass as if it had 100K miles. I added the concern to the list of dealer installed items 2 days after delivery. They recleaned the car and the glass looks better. I haven’t driven it at sundown so can’t say it’s clear. Plus just got the limo tint strip down Flush with the camera. Limo all around and 20 on the front doors.
I remember that the Japanese Asahi glass was flawless. At least the USA Accord glass can be found in most major cities as replacements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.