2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone thru a winter with the OEM wheels/tires? How has it performed in the snow - are the tires good enough or am I going to need a set of snow tires? Only time I ever had to do that was with a RWD vehicle, never FWD.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In general the 17”on the LX, EX, & EXL should be adequate for most conditions. The 19” on the Sport and Touring will not do as well. Lower profile, larger diameter, and more width all work against winter traction. Hopefully someone will weigh-in with personal experience. Lots of folks are using two sets of tires (all four) these days.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the sport 19" with 40 series aspect ratio tires gives me pause. I will probably for -1 or -2 for snows.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tirerack says these are the OE: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Touring&partnum=34VR9ET&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Accord+2.0T&autoModClar=Touring&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Accord+2.0T&autoModClar=Touring

Oh, it also says these are OE as well, these are the ones I have:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=34VR9MXM4PXLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Accord 2.0T&autoModClar=Touring

I'm not particularly fond of them, I had the same ones on my last car and they slipped a lot more often than I'm used to. They seem to slip a little on the accord as well. Granted, before I decided to try the Green X tires, I came from more sporty tires, the Pilot Sport A/S tires. Hopefully they come out with some more sporty all season tires before I have to replace mine.

·
Super Moderator
1,318 Posts
Tirerack says these are the OE: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Touring&partnum=34VR9ET&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Accord+2.0T&autoModClar=Touring&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Accord+2.0T&autoModClar=Touring

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=34VR9MXM4PXLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Accord 2.0T&autoModClar=Touring

I'm not particularly fond of them, I had the same ones on my last car and they slipped a lot more often than I'm used to. They seem to slip a little on the accord as well. Granted, before I decided to try the Green X tires, I came from more sporty tires, the Pilot Sport A/S tires. Hopefully they come out with some more sporty all season tires before I have to replace mine.
I have the same Michelin's as you on mine... as far as winter tires... When there is snow on the ground I'll be in my Yukon w/4 wheel drive. :smile: I'm more concerned w/all the non-drivers driving in the snow than I am w/traction of tires on my Accord... if those that can't drive in snow hit something of mine I want it to be my (old) SUV. :eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<snip>

</snip>

Look again, the Michelins are rated 6 yrs/45,000 miles! (really?)

I will probably wind up getting a set of snows as my wife drives the car quite a bit. The low profiles don't do well in the snow, I know for a fact.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where I'm at, if we get snow, it's only a few days out of the year that I have to worry about it... and in that case... we're normally in my wife's Pilot anyway. It's the rain that I'm mostly concerned with, they don't seem like they hold as well as my old Pilot Sport A/S tires did.

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So now that I’ve driven to winters on the tires from the factory I can tell you last winter it was pretty easy but we also didn’t get that much snow....yesterday however we received 12 inches of snow of course I didn’t do too well because it’s a low car with low profile tires 19 inch rims. Now I am thinking about upgrading and getting a second set with snow tires on it but as of right now I’m just rocking out with the all seasons from factory. 2018 Honda accord sport

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes Agree - the OE Tire aren't Great for Bad Weather - Rain OK , Ice _Look Out ! , Snow _ Your Going Off Road somewhere .. Drove like GarndMa - You'll be OK ..

I like the Conti's Extream DWS 06 in Winter - Great Grip - Great Wear & Nice Road Holding , but a Bit Loud ! ( Save Your Car Thou )
I put those on our 2009 Accord. I was trying to avoid another set of winter tires, but the first thing The Woman Of My Dreams said after the first snow storm was "put snow tires on my car." She's not a very confident winter driver, and the DWS06 might be OK for commuting (which is more about traffic than traction), but for driving in real winter weather you're gonna want real winter tires.
We have a 2L EX now with the 10 speed automatic, and the hard thing is that first gear is way too low when the road is slippery. You can start in second gear if you use sport mode, but then you need to shift back to econ. I'd really like to lock out first gear in econ mode sometimes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi!
I just got my Accord and went from a Civic! My Civic was great on snow, but Ive been reading on here and apparently the accord isn't the best in snow? I haven't been able to test it, but based on the comments here, I feel like I want to get a set of snow tires? I'm in Canada, so if anyone has any suggestions, they are very welcomed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
i used my OEM on snow last year, honestly i didnt think they were bad at all. Did i slip/spin when starting, yes, not all the time but quite a bit. Other than that only so often did I hit spots while driving/changing lanes that the tires would slip and then regain traction. We had brutal january/february last year with snow and ice, at one point during a 2 weeks span we were getting roughly 2-3 inches of snow almost daily/nighty. Those weeks I just carpooled and left my car in the garage at work, only taking it out when I needed to grab lunch a couple of times.

Anyway I thought they were serviceable and could get by in places with mild winters. Im in Montana and considering I drive my daughter to and from daycare with my commute to work I went ahead and got a dedicated winter setup. Still on days with higher thicker snow I will probably carpool since clearance will be an issue due to the roads i take until i get to the main ones are not plowed in the mornings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts