2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is coming in my part of the world, I added some some foam pipe insulation into the grill to block the flow of air.

The reason to do this is (1) to get more heat faster in ultra cold weather (like 0F and below) and (2) Gasoline direct injection. As we know, or should know, these engines are potentially vulnerable to gasoline dilution of the oil, which if not caught in time can lead to a seized engine and bent piston rods. So far this is mostly a CRV thing, but we have the same engines. Anyhow if you change your oil a lot and have an Accord instead of a CRV you may not have a problem. But one of the recommendations for those worried about GDI is to warm the car before driving in winter. Running a little hotter doesn't hurt. I have now used the car a few days and whether it is running a bit hotter I can't say, but I can say that it's not at all in danger of overheating.

I can also assure you, I left room for the radar (or whatever it is) and have road tested the car with this mod in place, and so far all the automated stuff is doing as well/as poorly as it always does.

People will recognize this mod as a version of the old midwestern and NE trick of putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator in bitter winter months to get the heater to work sooner.

This modification cost about eight bucks. My friend couldn't see what had changed (the black foam kind of disappears).

--Greg N

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will add that the first thing I did was to check whether you can just do the old cardboard trick. Man, that is not possible. Everything is too tight in that engine compartment. I really liked the simplicity of the old approach because you could just stop in at any old supermarket get a box, flatten it, pop it in, and you were good for the winter.

But my hunch now is that these are "old guy stories."

And the foam install is all pressure fit. There's no glue or duct tape. You do need a pair of scissors to cut the length and put in some slits where the plastic has vertical supports.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Nice mod.... for me however I just use the remote start via FOB or Hondalink to start the car a few minutes before going out.... prefer the KISS method. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts