2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the newer honda Accord and Civic comes with an wireless carplay option. Has anyone have suggestions on if there will be a new update for previous models? Can a simple update fix that? or is there an alternative way we could fix one on existing models

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
I had heard/read that Honda had polled/surveyed some Honda owners if they would be interested in updating their vehicles with this feature. In that poll/survey it was asked if this upgrade was available at a cost would they be willing to pay for it. Don't know/remember the specifics of the cost for the upgrade or if any progress on providing this upgrade went anywhere other than that poll/survey. My thoughts are that Honda has decided it would be more beneficial too not offer the upgrade as those that want it bad enough will buy a new car.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ould fix one on existing
I had heard/read that Honda had polled/surveyed some Honda owners if they would be interested in updating their vehicles with this feature. In that poll/survey it was asked if this upgrade was available at a cost would they be willing to pay for it. Don't know/remember the specifics of the cost for the upgrade or if any progress on providing this upgrade went anywhere other than that poll/survey. My thoughts are that Honda has decided it would be more beneficial too not offer the upgrade as those that want it bad enough will buy a new car.
Lol that's next level greediness! I hope someone comes up with a flash or crack so we all could benefit :D

· Administrator
2,877 Posts
Unfortunately that's the way of the world... not often will manufacturers give away features. I've also read some have had issues with this wireless system... however that has to be taken as a grain of salt because those that have zero issues don't mention it.

· Registered
2018 2.0 6MT San Marino Red
31 Posts
Carlinkit makes a converter that plugs into either one of the smartphone ports and starts up Apple Carplay wirelessly once the car starts. It's a bit pricy and not 100% stable with navigation in my experience, but it works for most other everyday things (calls, messages, spotify / other audio).

Using Apply Maps or Waze can lead to an occasional crash, and Google Maps starts to has a gradual lag and can also crash if you get a phone call during an active trip--this might have to do with my personal phone (12 pro) and/or settings. Many others report no issues like this with current firmware per the thread on the Drive Accord forum.
https://www.driveaccord.net/threads...lay-adapter-for-10th-gen-accord.549285/page-8
Anyone have Wireless Apple Carplay Adapter for 10th Gen...

· Registered
2 Posts
If I get one of those, I would most likely use it for Waze and would prefer to keep the unit itself tucked/hidden inside the closed center console - do you see any problems with those preferences?
If I get one of those, I would most likely use it for Waze and would prefer to keep the unit itself tucked/hidden inside the closed center console - do you see any problems with those preferences?
I dont use Waze but I dont think it would be an issue. I leave my unit connected and inside the center console compartment. It turns on and off with the car, but it does take about 15 secs to connect once the car is turned on.

· Registered
21 Posts
You should check out AAWireless on Indeigogo, it's a small object you plug into where you would connect your phone and it becomes a wireless android auto adapter. If you are looking for carplay I cant help.
I got one too. Ordered in April, and arrived and installed a couple of weeks ago. The lead time is 3 to 6 months due to chip shortage. I'm glad I purchased it and worth the wait.

It works like a dream on my 21 Accord 1.5T Sport. I've been using it for Google Maps, Youtube Music, and home security camera app at the same time. It's smooth as butter. Never going back to wired Android Auto.

· Registered
21 Posts
Are any of you guys able to mirror your phone and if so, how? I'd like to display (and with sound) vlc being played on my phone on the head unit...
Android Auto is supported by VLC but you have to be on Developer Mode. No need for mirroring. And it works whether you're wired or wireless. Here are the steps:
  1. Open Android Auto app on your phone, not connected to your car.
  2. Tap the 3 bars on the top left. Tap the (i) 'About' button. Tap 'Settings' button in the upper right corner. Tap several times 'Version' until you are a developer (about 10 times).
  3. Tap the 3 bars on the top left. Tap 'Settings'. Tap three dots in the upper right corner. Select 'Developer settings'. Enable 'Unknown sources'.
  4. Navigate to Customize launcher then enable VLC.
I took a screenshot of my AA for you when I was out for lunch:

Product Font Rectangle Line Operating system

· Registered
2018 2.0 6MT San Marino Red
31 Posts
Thanks!!! I was able to set it up per your instructions - gonna try it out in the car in another hour or so...

ETA - Bummer! Audio only, no video. I'm gonna try experimenting with AAAD and AA Mirror...
Have you found any setup that works to play video yet? I had a decent collection of live concerts to play on the head unit in my last car, and I miss it...

· Registered
21 Posts
Have you found any setup that works to play video yet? I had a decent collection of live concerts to play on the head unit in my last car, and I miss it...
Have you tried AAAD + Fermata? This is the link for Fermata Media Player if you're curious. Like Samuelx, I'm using AAAD (PRO) and AA Mirror Plus to display KTuner's TunerView on the infosystem. And this is via AAWireless dongle.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

· Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
562 Posts
Negative, sorry! AA mirror gives me sound but no picture...

Have you tried AAAD + Fermata? This is the link for Fermata Media Player if you're curious. Like Samuelx, I'm using AAAD (PRO) and AA Mirror Plus to display KTuner's TunerView on the infosystem. And this is via AAWireless dongle.
I will give Fermata a try, thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.