2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worth it to go down to 18" lighter wheels and stickier tires for better handling?

Currently running the stock 19" Touring wheels with the Goodyear A/S tires.

I'm wondering if it's worth to spend $1500 on lighter 18" wheels and Firestone IndyHawk 500 summer tires to get improved handling.

If the difference isn't completely noticeable, I would prefer not to spend that much.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Currently running the stock 19" Touring wheels with the Goodyear A/S tires.

I'm wondering if it's worth to spend $1500 on lighter 18" wheels and Firestone IndyHawk 500 summer tires to get improved handling.

If the difference isn't completely noticeable, I would prefer not to spend that much.
Depends on your priorities. Another benefit you did not mention is improved acceleration, braking, and fuel mileage as a result of the lower rotating mass with the lower wheel weight and diameter. Those big wheels are like 4 big flywheels. You can expect better ride because of lower unsprung weight. I changed my wheels/tires for aftermarket Enkei and Pirelli P Zero Plus a/s 18” tires. Saved about 11 lbs. per wheel. Lost some bling, but the handling is better because the Pirelli’s are a higher performance tire compared the OEM Michelin Primacy’s. Primacy’s are good tires for wear, but not sporty. Your use of summer tires should bump up the handling even more than my all seasons. Realistically, it might be hard to save $1500 in gasoline though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Piggy backing on what @Ghawkins said:
Point 1: $1,500 dollars can buy you 600 gallons of gas at $2.50 per gallon. The Accord's tank is 14.8 gallons, which means for $1500 you can get 40.54 filllups (600/14.8). Another way of putting it is 600 gallons * 30 miles per gallon = 18,000 miles.

Point 2: You may only save 5 cents per gallon with the new tires and wheels. This means it would take you 30,000 fillups to break even. Your tires will be worn out before you reach that many fillups, and the car may be replaced by that time. Which means you'll never get a return on your investment.
When you do the math, it just isn't worth it IMO. Point 2 is the real eye opener.

NOTE: The price per gallon and miles per gallon are estimate figures. Your price and miles per gallon may be different, but doesn't change the results that much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, I'm not interested in fuel savings much, this is mainly from a handling standpoint. Seems like there are benefits but are they noticeable off the bat.

I recently switched out my air filter for an aem pro dry s and was expecting better throttle response as mentioned in reviews but it was noticeable to me. Mod still worthwhile as a replacement for a few years still.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ah, I'm not interested in fuel savings much, this is mainly from a handling standpoint. Seems like there are benefits but are they noticeable off the bat.

I recently switched out my air filter for an aem pro dry s and was expecting better throttle response as mentioned in reviews but it was noticeable to me. Mod still worthwhile as a replacement for a few years still.
I have the 19" Touring wheels as well (I have Michelin's). I love the rims, but fear the damage that the low profile tires may cause.

Other than that, I don't have any issues with handling. I'm not an aggressive driver, so I may not realize whether handling could be better with different wheels. However, I doubt whether spending $1,500 for tires and rims would yield significant, noticeable improvements.

If you just want to change the look of your wheels, then that's another story. $1,500 may be worth it just for having something that's pleasing to you. But, for fuel saving and handling ... I'd say No ... don't waste your money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing... I don't mind the look of the wheels but I feel as a daily driver it would have been better off with 18's. I'm hoping at least that Michelin will start to make the Pilot Sport AS tires for this size. I'm not sure if I will go as far as replacing perfectly good wheels though. I guess if I were to do it, it would be better to do it sooner than later to get a better resale, but I have other priorities right now. :|

·
Registered
212 Posts
In my opinion it's not the size of the rim, but the height of the tire profile. My 19" rims came with 40% profile tires. An 18" rim with 40% profile will probably feel the same and have the same issues. I much prefer 50-60% profile tires on a 16"-17" rim ... a softer ride with better pothole protection.

I'm old school, and today's stage-coach size rims just doesn't work well for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought some used 18s and am going to buy some 255/45R18s hopefully in Michelins A/S 3 I think. I read reviews on Tire Rack that say they work as good as their summer tires. If not I will be getting the Continental DWS's. :grin:
As you may know, the stock 235/40R19 is almost 26.4" and the 255/45R18 is 27".

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought some used 18s and am going to buy some 255/45R18s hopefully in Michelins A/S 3 I think. I read reviews on Tire Rack that say they work as good as their summer tires. If not I will be getting the Continental DWS's. :grin:
As you may know, the stock 235/40R19 is almost 26.4" and the 255/45R18 is 27".
The 255 may be too large. I chose Pirelli P Zero Plus a/s tires because of their performance in a Tire Rack 3 tire comparison, Michelin, Pirelli, and Conti. I chose the best a/s tire because I wanted to run the new ‘18’s year round. I have a GTI that I switch tires back and forth seasonally and it’s becoming a pain. I chose 225/45x18 because that was the size recommended by Tire Rack. The speedometer does seem accurate on the freeway mileposts. No issues. Seem to be wearing well after about 14,000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts