2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another reason to not use the supplied crossovers is they eat up power, as much as 40%
I think I will have to disagree with you for the first time :)
Although coils in the xover are designed to create resistance, have you ever touched a crossover and went "ouch that's hot"?

Passive Crossover are commonly found inside wooden and plastic fiber filled home speakers that can commonly run on 100+ watts. If 40% loss was true, that would a fire hazard.

Mind you I am not an electrical engineer ;)

the stock amp has crossovers apparently and while they may not be exactly what the Infinity crossovers use, I figured it was close enough, they sound great and time will tell if the tweeters are ok
Stock tweeter has a capacitor right next to it. I would not dare run a tweeter without one.

·
Registered
38 Posts

If you don’t follow CAF on YouTube it offers some great information and the episode above is all about components and the advantages of running active over passive. I’m not saying all crossovers are going to eat up 40% of the power but I have seen a cheap Pyle set that was tested that did eat up 39% of the 50 watts on the channel. For the180 watts system in the sport you only have 22.5 watts per channel so I’m a little hesitant to run a passive crossover with a component set on one channel when I can run the mid on one channel and the tweeter with a cap on another channel to make the best use of the 22.5 watts. Just my opinion and yes I am an electrical engineer by trade...lol... Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts